Saturday 10 September 2011

Mamay and the Humble Taho

            Mamay (Batangueno term for lolo) was the kind of guy you would listen to whenever he said something to you- guaranteed. He was firm but gentle at the same time that was how I remember him although according to his children he was more than strict. Some of the things I also remember about him are reminders about food, some of them were; “Kainin mo kung ano ang nasa mesa, ‘di pupwedeng namimili ka ng kakainin. Yung ibang tao, walang makain.” “Kainin mo yang itlog, masustansya yan, lalo na ung pula.” “Kapag kumuha ka ng pagkain, siguraduhin mong uubusin mo.” He kind of threw his weight around about those things but I would really be scared senseless on how he said it and would just do as I was told.

The most unforgettable thing he did for me when he was still alive was buying taho for me in the morning, and this was no 5 or 10 peso cup, it was a glass full of taho. Mamay said that taho is very nutritious and is very healthy for a growing body. “Inumin mo to para tumangkad ka tsaka maging malakas ka paglaki mo.” Which I really think helped. He almost never failed to buy taho from Robin, a taho vendor who really idolizes Robin Padilla so Mamay dubbed him with the alias Robin; again, he threw his weight around. Every morning I wake up and look out the window and I see Robin walking away from our house, I always knew that the hot taho was waiting for me at the table. Just to give you a better picture, his idea of a taho for a kid was a big glass full, less arnibal (caramel) - I thought of him as a real kill joy.

After longboarding with very, very good college friends in Kapitolyo, I’m on my way to ride a tricycle home and I just saw this taho vendor along the tricycle terminal and I can’t help thinking of Mamay at that moment. After so many years, this was one of those times I really wanted that taho so bad. I told the vendor that I want one but I can’t find a cup as big as the glass I’m used to. I just told him give me the biggest cup he has which would be a 10peso cup, enough for 3-4 big gulps. I also had another request, and that will be to put more arnibal in my taho to make it more enjoyable. I almost finished it right away, but the taho needed to reach the house for a proper photo op. 4:30AM, I finished the taho almost instantly after taking a picture. And by the way, this taho is the real thing, the one peddled by your neighborhood strongmen with white Good Morning towels on their shoulders; not one of those soy milk or those things you buy in the mall that cost you like a 100 bucks. It tasted awesome and I really wanted more and I hope they’ll be coming up with a 20peso cup next time I buy. I can’t stress this enough; drink taho and you’ll grow up healthy! Ha-ha!

Here's Mamay. If you'll look closely, he looks like Hulk Hogan. See it?
The humble taho I resisted drinking just to be able to take a picture.
It’s going to be Mamay’s 16th death anniversary on the 9th of October. This is a good way of telling me “It’s good to know you got home safe” rather than having him in my dreams or some sort of apparition. Til we meet again, old man, I am missing you so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment