Monday 12 September 2011

Tour de Salmon Teriyaki

         At September 12, 2011, I wake around 11:00AM, got up and reheat me some leftover pizza from last night’s farewell dinner for Tatay and tita Grace. Take a very nice, cold shower, brush my teeth until they sparkle and dress sharp for my job interview. Leave the house at quarter to 1:00PM and go to the office to bag the 3:30PM interview. That was pretty boring, right? That’s why it didn’t happen.

            Everything was basically black and white until I asked myself “Where the hell am I going?” that’s where the adventure started. So I’m job hunting and I finally got somewhere with all the waiting and al the effort, I’m scheduled for an interview with TV5 Sports Manager Vitto Lazatin at 3:30PM. I didn’t bother asking where his office is located since I thought he would just be in Novaliches, where TV5 is located, common sense, right? But it’s really not that common, I should’ve asked him still. He only told me that it was at Marajo Tower 26th street corner 4th avenue, Bonifacio Global City at around 4:00PM. To give you a clearer picture, I was on my way to The Fort at that time-yes; I do know how to be punctual at some times. Making the very long story to just long, Around 1:00PM, I took a shuttle to Ayala and hopped on the MRT going to North Avenue since the FX terminal to Novaliches would be there and the train is just faster than a city bus. Got off the North Avenue, took the FX and arrived at TV5 Novaliches at 2:20PM. I really thought I was more than good today since I’m more than an hour early for an appointment-not!

Guard: Sir, ID po.
Theo: Eto po, chief.
Guard: Saan po tayo, sir?
Theo: Kay Mr. Vitto Lazatin, po, boss. Saan po ba siyang building?
Guard: Bito La-sa-tin? Saan yun, sir?
Theo: Sa Sports5, bossing, diba, ditto un? Sports Department niyo.
Guard: Teka, sir, patawag natin para sure.
Concierge: Sir, saan po sila?
Theo: Kay Mr. Lazatin po, sa Sports5.
Concierge: Tawag lang natin, sir, confirm natin….Sir, wala po pala ditto ung Sports5, sa Boni po ‘yun. Eto po number, sir, confirm niyo po. Kaya po pala hindi naming kilala si Mr. Lazatin.
Theo: Ah, ganun po ba? Sige po, tatawagan ko na lang ung office nila. Salamat.

            As I was talking to the concierge and getting the number I can only see myself as a total jackass on business attire. Apparently, I was not on Wow Mali and I’m really thinking hard on how to talk to the guy since we only exchanged a few e-mails. Luckily, I only have 2.50Php on my phone since I’m really not texting nowadays and my regular text only costs .50Php, thanks to my UST sim card- I love you! I had to go back to Trinoma, buy some cellphone credits and call the damn office that concierge was talking about. I hope I’m not boring you to death because this is just half of the story. So there I was back in the North Avenue station of the MRT and trying to call the number. This number wasn’t a hotline or a boss’s number since it took around 10 tries for my call to be answered. When a lady finally answered the call, I asked immediately if Mr. Lazatin is staying there and where the office is located, she just went; “Yes, Sports5 po to, but this is not sir Vitto’s office. His office is located at The Fort at Marajo.” I just said that Mr. Lazatin and I exchanged e-mails and I was just told of the time and day. Fortunately, she just told me to go there if there really is something set for me maybe he’ll drop by.

            Rode the MRT to Boni and walked a couple of minutes to get to the office and was I shocked when I got there. I saw a transmitter, tapes, editors and basically the whole nine yards for airing shows. I talked to some of the people there asking for Mr. Lazatin and that I’m late for an appointment, again, I was told if I was sure and of course, I said we just exchanged e-mails and I was not told where so I just assumed and from Novaliches, I was directed there. The girl told me to sit somewhere and wait for some kind of confirmation. After about 30 minutes, I received the not-so-good news.

Girl: Sir, tumawag po ako sa Marajo, sabi nung assistant ni sir Vitto, nasa meeting daw siya.
Theo: Oo nga eh, sabi niya kasi nasa meeting siya, pero wala talagang address eh.
Girl: Ganun ba? Kasi wala naman si sir Vitto talaga dito, ung office niya sa Marajo talaga.
Theo: Ganun ba? Sige, pupuntahan ko na lang dun. Ano address
Girl: 21st floor, Marajo Tower, 26th street.
Theo: Thank you.

            Got back to the MRT’s Boni station and alighted at Ayala to ride a cab to somewhere near my former office. Got to the building and went to the floor where I needed to go. After getting there, I told the concierge that I have an appointment with Mr. Lazatin.

Concierge: Yes sir, dito nga office niya.
Theo: Ayun, may appointment kasi ako, eh
Concierge: Anong oras, sir?
Theo: Kaninang alas tres.
(The clock is displaying 4:24PM)
Concierge: Late na kayo, sir, ah. Hahaha (he literally laughed)
Theo: Oo nga eh. (Literally pissed that he laughed)

            To make the long story short, I just waited more or less an hour and Mr. Lazatin and I chatted and he just laid the job description in the process. After a long day and a very long route to the Fort, I went to Glorietta to meet with Pong and grab a bite after the long day. In between 8:00AM-7:00PM, I only had a cup of Gulaman so this food that I’m going to devour will be more that a regular dinner for me.


            Got to Glorietta and since I didn’t want any burgers, I went for Okuya’s Salmon Teriyaki with stir fried bean sprouts and pancit for side dishes. The Pancit was good, It wasn’t bland and wasn’t oveseasoned. The bean sprouts weren’t bad either, although I wish it wasn’t as watery and overcooked. The salmon was juicy and full of flavor, really mouthwatering. I felt like I got stuck somewhere in the wilderness and discovered civilized food for the first time. I had a blast devouring that salmon and I won’t think twice having this combo again.

No comments:

Post a Comment